Sunday, December 13, 2009

Benzoyl peroxide vs. Salycic Acid for breakouts/blackheads?

SO.....I'm turning 26 next week and my skin is worse now than it was when I was in highschool...WTF? I can't find anything that works and the dermatologists are backed up until the spring...again...WTF?? So, what is more effective benzoyl peroxide or salycic acid?? All acne treatmens are made from one of these two products, but I never know which to stick with. Yes, I've been under a lot of stress but I need something to clear it up, it's been months now....it's starting to depress me......HELP!Benzoyl peroxide vs. Salycic Acid for breakouts/blackheads?
Cleanse the face thoroughly with a good cleanser meant for oily skin. Preferrably use a salicylic acid cleanser.





Apply an astringent like witch hazel. It helps reduce oiliness. If its a bit harsh mix a bit of rose water in it.





Apply a good quality medicated cream or gel containing resorcinol, salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. This helps is soaking the oil and helps in peeling away the blackheads. You can get creams or gels of Benzoyl Peroxide treating blackheads If benzoyl peroxide leaves your skin dry, apply an oil-free moisturizer after 10 mins of applying benzoyl peroxide.





Effective Tips to get rid of blackheads





鈥xfoliate the blackhead prone area 3-4 times a week using facial exfoliators and scrubs.





鈥se creams containing AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Fruit acids) like glyco-creams that will clear away any dead skin cells and ';expose'; the blackhead. Use the AHA's every 3 days or so.





鈥void washing the face with soaps more than twice a day. Instead wash your face often with plain water splashes.





鈥ften use a mask with a clay base.





If blackheads look ready to pop out, you could try removing them gently by using a blackhead extractor. Also, Pore cleanser strips (blackhead extractor) for removal of blackheads are highly recommended for the treatment/removal of blackheads. Using them once per week will leave your pores cleaner and smaller.





Steam your face to soften both the skin and the material blocking the pores.





=)Benzoyl peroxide vs. Salycic Acid for breakouts/blackheads?
Salycilic acid. Wash often, 2x a day or more, with a good soap such as Ivory, Irish Spring, or Dial.
benzoyl peroxide works by being absorbed into the skin and breaking down the stuff inside the pore that causes a blemish. Salicylic acid, on the other hand, works by removing the outer most layer of the skin (usually dead skin) which helps to reveal newer skin underneath and can help with cell turnover.





I would suggest buying both, and using them on a case by case basis. For benzoyl peroxide, I like clean and clear persa gel. It can be very drying, so I would only use it as a spot treatment for bigger/more serious blemishes.





Then I would get a product that contains salicylic acid (and preferably, it should also contain some rubbing alcohol). Rub this one all over your skin, even on spots that are fairly or completely clear. The salicylic acid will ensure that your skin doesn't accumulate dead skin cells, while the rubbing alcohol helps to prevent any bacteria or dirt leftover after cleansing from being absorbed into the pore.





Apply the salicylic acid first and then use the Benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment.
I had the same problem when I was 25. Personally, when if I break out badly I use a combination of both. If it is just a zit or two here and there I stick with benzoyl peroxide. I know that when my brother had major issues, this is what his doctor prescibed for him in an amount more than over the counter. It is more drying, which is probably why I think it works better. I figure that when it is bad, by using some products with each, like maybe salycic acid facewash and then benzoyl peroxide spot treatment one or the other HAS to work.
benzoyl peroxide is the best:)
i spoke to my doctor about the same problem and she said benzoyl peroxide is best. good luck
Salicylic acid works great. Benzoyl peroxide is good, it's just very drying on the skin.
I use salicylic acid and I break out. I use benzoyl peroxide and my face clears up. It is different for everyone.. you just have to keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
itchy skin